Thursday, April 14, 2022

reach your heart and stay

I am not usually a prose poetry person, but I read this one this morning looking for the right poem for my birthday and it's basically perfect, so here we are. I have had an absolutely lovely birthday, with great friends and great food and a beach, and really being on vacation on your birthday is an A+ life choice.

I’d like to be a shrine, so I can learn from peoples’ prayers the story of hearts. I’d like to be a scarf so I can place it over my hair and understand other worlds. I’d like to be the voice of a soprano singer so I can move through all borders and see them vanish with every spell-binding note. I’d like to be light so I illuminate the dark. I’d like to be water to fill bodies so we can gently float together indefinitely. I’d like to be a lemon, to be zest all the time, or an olive tree to shimmer silver on the earth. Most of all, I’d like to be a poem, to reach your heart and stay.

—Nathalie Handal, "Love Letter," Poetry, March 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment