Saturday, April 2, 2022

face to face with the sun

It's an absolutely gorgeous (cold) spring day in New York, and I went to the farmers market and got coffee and walked around a little and felt deeply in charity with the world. I had some other poems up my sleeve this morning, but then my girlfriend sent me this one, and you know, yeah. This is a good one. (Among other things, I like that it has a little of the spirit of a sonnet without being anything like a sonnet, and a tiny shout-out to Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird.)

Above a pond, I sit on a wooden bench
and throw pebbles into the willows.

A rush of sunlight and wind creates a path in a channel of water, dances
between the melting ice and brown islands of bulrush.

The resident osprey, its eyes the color of yellow grass,
follows my tossing hand.

Love is a diorama of inner life in an outer world.

I look down and find a chunk of fossilized rock
with an entire Paleozoic shell sticking out.

I am not afraid of love, but terrified of how it is my steady guide.

Once, when tired, I wandered off the trail and crawled under a tree to rest.

I woke to a young brown bear licking my boot.
Nothing had ever felt that good.

When I say I love you, what I mean is I wouldn’t leave you.

Even if love is not loved back it doesn’t go away,
although it may become a black hole.

Could this be what it’s like for trees to lose the green from their leaves?

At noon the light shifts and the pond turns
into a mosaic of opaque green ice.

Orange carp rise in these cold watery chambers to breathe at the surface.

Always I am in love. Face to face with the sun. Face to face with the moon.

—Elizabeth Jacobson, "14 Love Songs" from Not into the Blossoms and Not into the Air (Parlor Press, 2019).

No comments:

Post a Comment