Saturday, April 23, 2022

this angry flood

For Christmas I asked my parents for the Room of One's Own poetry subscription, which was a great gift in so many ways and something I had been wanting to do for ages, because a) Room of One's Own is the best bookstore, and b) I love poetry. I am sure neither of these things will come as a shock to anyone. I've gotten some awesome poetry collections so far this year, not all of which I have even had time to read yet, so stay tuned for more poetry from the poetry subscription in future years.

However, the first collection I got, back in January, was Susan Montez's Teaching Shakespeare, which is absolutely phenomenal, and seemed especially appropriate for today, Shakespeare's alleged birthday. This is the titular poem, and it packs an absolute punch. This poem comes with some content warnings, mainly for slurs and the fundamental inequalities of the education system in America.

I usually post one of the sonnets (in addition to a Shakespeare-related poem) on Shakespeare day, but to be honest typing up this poem took a lot out of me (ooof, the formatting), so I'm going to forego the sonnet this year. This poem is a lot already.

This semester: Julius Caesar

                Caesar. Everyone wants to be Caesar
I want Durrell (whose real name's Antonius)
to be Mark Antony.

                                    "Stand you directly in Antonius' way
                        When he doth run his course, Antonius!"

                        Directly in Antonius' way, indeed.


    (My Cantrilena: Studente/Insegnante)

Durrell:             I want an older woman
                          like you, Mrs. Nixon,
                          criminally-minded like me—
                          your mind, my body
                          I'd give you a heart attack in bed.

Me:                    Durell, this has got to stop.
                          If I wrote you up,
                          you'd be suspended
                          100 years.


    (Mezzo Sonnet)

Durell, Antonius, Mark Antony's lure
has been rebuked since I wrote him up for
throwing a gumball at me from the hall.
He sits, "I ain't being nobody." Fall
from grace. Have I? From his. There'll be no more
fresh looks, fresh talks which he's been warned against
anyway. I try to keep feelings fenced.

                            Durrell comes around before class
                            looking for gum. He's told people
                            (I think) we've got something
                            going that isn't going

                            In class I read, "Darest thou, Cassius, now
                                        Leap in with me into this angry flood,
                                        And swim to yonder point?"

                            Durell looks me in the eye, "Leap in with me
                                    into this angry flood,
                                    and swim to yonder point."


    (Sicilian Octave)

to yonder point, Durrell, I've been to yon-
der point. It's sea, it's stone, it's everywhere
this flotsam jetsam tide. It's just a con
for everyone to get them in floods. Tear
up their hearts, and minds, and hearths, still a pond
would be very nice, green water, and a pair
of lily pads and frogs. We could be fond,
live on dry land. Alas, I'm too old to dare.


    (A Change of Heart)

Hark, Durrell wants to do, "Friends, Romans, Countrymen,"
after assurance Antony's no fag.
Durrell, lend me your ear.

                                    I say, no, his downfall Cleopatra,
                                    Queen of Egypt, enemy to Rome, was
                                    what got him in the end. Duties Roma
                                    neglected while he floated the Nile, fuzz
                                    minded by wine and grapes and love engulfed
                                    by rich flesh, jewels, black hair, he forgot his
                                    Roman armies, Octavius, Octavia,
                                    to be with Cleopatra. Career dis-
                                    solved by love. Durrell likes this, "Can we do
                                    that play next?"


    (Lo Sogno)

Durrell and I together drifting down
the Nile but not by barge, by yellow float—
the water still, we barely move. Against
my wish, we're out the float, the water
shallow, we walk the Nile towards white lights
of Alexandria. I say, "There's parasites.
The problem: Children swim the river,
get infected, die—Alexandria's
no good—thieves, disease, and poverty," Lights
ahead, Lawrence Durrell is dead this year.
                      Durrell says, "You crazy, come on."


    (Spezzato Paradiso)

                                    All roads don't lead to Rome.
                                    Some lead to Chase City,
                                    but you can always make connections
when there aren't any
between Durrell, Rome, Cairo, Chase City
barges on the Nile, Julius Caesar.
When Pindarus stabs Cassius,
                                    Durrell grabs the podium.
                                    "Why aren't there Black folks in Shakespeare?"

Black folks, Black folks! There are! Othello! Palm-leaved
            Ethiopians fanning Cleopatra!

Durrell says:               The problem with Shakespeare
                                    and this whole school is racism!
                                    They ought to fire all the old and young
                                    white ugly teachers!

Durrell says:                Let me tell you who's a racist in this school
                                    Coach Kreigfield's a racist
                                    I hear what he calls us
                                    Ms. Jones in the office's a racist
                                    Ms. Lalley is a racist
                                    she teaches them white kids up front
                                    and leaves the rest of us
                                    in the back ignorant
                                    and her husband don't pay her no attention
                                    that's her problem and she's a redneck, cracker
                                    anyway
                                    Ms. Smythe the geography teacher's a racist
                                    Mr. Collin's a racist
                                    no one in the parliamentary procedures
                                    competition was black—all white
                                    and Mr. Wolfe is a racist
                                    and Ms. Block is a racist and she's also
                                    fat and that other fat Spanish teacher, Mullins,
                                    is a racist and her husband's a racist
                                    and Pat Trumpet in the back row's a racist
                                    and I ain't saying nothing about Ms. Nixon
                                    but she's married to a redneck
                                    from Buckingham where they're all racists
                                    and Shakespeare's a racist.

                                    And that's what's wrong with this school.
                                    Racism.


    (Durrell is failing English)

Despite his Antonius prowess
and 100% participation grade,
                    Durrell refuses to write essays other than

                            WHY I HATE TO WRITE ESSAYS
                                    One reason I hate to write essays
                                    is because I don't really know
                                    how to write an essay
                                    and the teacher
                                    won't help me any on
                                    how to write one and
                                    besides essays are boring if
                                    I wanted to write all the
                                    time I would have made
                                    a book and one more thing
                                    you give too many essays.


    (End of Cantrilena)

Why are you failing English?
You know why.
You won't write essays.
That's not why.
Then why?
You know why.

—Susan Montez (d. 2016), "Teaching Shakespeare," from Teaching Shakespeare (Astoria Press: 2020).

The collection was published posthumously, and the poems were written significantly before her death in 2016. In the introduction to the collection, Binnie Kirshenbaum writes: "After Susan completed Teaching Shakespeare, and she declared herself done, I'd assumed she meant the book was finished. But I was wrong. She meant she was done with poetry. She refused to give the manuscript to her editor despite his asking for it several times. She wrote no more poems, either." Then, only a few days before her death, Kirshenbaum writes, "she said to me, 'When I get out of [the hospital], I'm going to get back to poetry. I'm going to send the manuscript out and start writing again.'" I never did write my dissertation about literary executors in the 17th century, but I sure do think about them a lot—almost as often as I think about teaching Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment