Tuesday, April 22, 2014

moon dust

Today I finally gave in to the National Poetry Month book-buying bug, and went to the bookstore on my way home. I bought probably more poetry books than I should have (my collection increases yearly), including Nikki Giovanni's new poetry and prose collection, Chasing Utopia (New York: William Morrow, 2013). I'm already kind of in love with it -- and not just the book design, which is lovely -- so it may be making frequent appearances in future years. Here's one of the poems:

I baked it
In a biscuit
And someone came along
While I wasn't looking
And stole it away

I had planned
To take it
For Show-and-Tell
Naked I would unveil
My prize
The moon would dress me
In moon dust

The stars settling over
My head
And you with your arms
Outstretched
Would awake me
Warm
In the light of day
While the night made its way
Into the kitchen
To become
Morning pancakes

—Nikki Giovanni (b. 1943), "Where Did The Night Go" from Chasing Utopia, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment