Sunday, April 20, 2014

all the constellations of the storie

A little late-night George Herbert for Easter Sunday, don't you think?

Oh that I knew how all thy lights combine,
             And the configurations of their glorie!
             Seeing not onely how each verse doth shine,
But all the constellations of the storie.

This verse marks that, and both do make a motion
             Unto a third, that ten leaves off doth lie:
             Then as dispersed herbs do watch a potion,
These three make up some Christians destinie:

Such are thy secrets, which my life makes good,
             And comments on thee: for in ev’ry thing
             Thy words do finde me out, & parallels bring,
And in another make me understood.

             Starres are poore books, & oftentimes do misse:
             This book of starres lights to eternall blisse.

—George Herbert (1593-1633), "The H. Scriptures II" from The Temple, 1633.

This is the second of a pair of sonnets to the Holy Scriptures (conveniently noted by the headnote in my edition of Herbert to be "an alternative title (almost always preferred by H.) for the Bible, the book in which, in sixty-six shorter 'books' of history, poetry, prophecy, and teaching, the historical relationship of God and the Jews (OT) and the salvation of the world by his son Jesus Christ (NT), are recorded." I mean, thanks for that, Professor Wilcox); it's worth reading the two poems together, but I've always liked the second one more. Among my marginalia on this poem are the following: HERMENEUTICS, written sideways in all caps with an underline and a star; books = stars = constellations = word of god? = heavenly lights; and stars pour [sic] books/books not poor stars. I mean, go figure. I wish I knew what I meant, besides, you know, My Little Herbert: God is Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment