Saturday, April 8, 2017

art my way back

I went looking for contemporary poets from Croatia, ideally writing in English, and found Ana Božičević. Her poetry is weird and layered and very contemporary and not always entirely to my taste, but I also really like it; I especially like this one, which was a Poem-a-Day at the Academy of American Poets on November 26, 2013. I think my favorite thing about this poem is the enjambment and the accompanying punctuation, which is completely killer.

Skinny dirt road
In the middle of the ocean.
That led to the house of art.
I took it. The engine nearly
Drowned. I lied that it was fun
That I’d do it again. When I got to
That shore
The house was gone and when
I looked back, so was the path.
Now I’m old. Drown in my bed
A thousand miles inland.
For years I thought
I could
Art my way back. Cats sing
Of rose dawns. This country’s a
Mirror image
Of the one I left, except
I’ve bad dreams. And
You’re the only
Person who’s not here.
Is it the same
For you.

—Ana Božičević (b. 1977), "Joyride," 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment