Monday, April 13, 2015

tell a new story

Is it still the 13th? I had a surprisingly busy day. Here is a poem that is excellent to read late at night, and is also by a friend of mine! My friend Charlie has been spending National Poetry Month Aprils with me since my very first year of posting poems, a million years ago in 2007 when we were both in college, and now he is a published poet! HOW COOL IS THAT? I love this poem.

The night the paintings opened, we
were young again,
outside the lines and still wet. Your feet
left blue on the marble floor when you
came over with your guitar and
gave me a lopsided wink. I finally
put down that goddamned hairbrush and
shook out my curls, smears of carmine
sliding on your skin like the heart
your artist had decided
was broken. We
were hungry, so
ducking between the sprinkler systems
and the flames, we
stole some of Cézanne’s peaches and
ran out to tell a new story.

—Charlie Byrd, "Pentimento," published in Liminality Issue No. 2, Winter 2014/2015, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment