Thursday, April 8, 2021

counter, original, spare, strange

Sometimes, when I'm not sure what poem I'm in the mood for and don't have a plan for the day, I go back through my spreadsheet in search of inspiration and realize that, although I have posted almost all of my favorite Gerard Manley Hopkins poems, there are some I have missed.

Glory be to God for dappled things –
     For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
          For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
     Landscape plotted and pieced – fold, fallow, and plough;
          And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
     Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
          With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
                                   Praise him.

—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-1889), "Pied Beauty," Summer 1877. The note on this poem in my edition of Selected Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins (Dover, 2011, ed. Bob Blaisdell) says, "Curtal Sonnet: sprung paeonic rhythm," because Hopkins is, as always, baller.

No comments:

Post a Comment